* 16 large sea scallops (about 1 1/4 pounds), rinsed and dried, tough muscles removed
* 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
* 3 tablespoons safflower oil
* 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced lengthwise
* 7 ounces baby spinach (about 10 cups)
* 7 ounces baby arugula (about 10 cups)
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
1. Heat a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high
heat. Sprinkle scallops with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet. Arrange scallops in skillet, and
cook on 1 side until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Flip, and cook
until scallops are opaque, 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer to a plate lined
with paper towels.
2. Reduce heat to medium, and add remaining tablespoon oil
to skillet. Add garlic, and cook for 15 seconds. Add spinach, arugula,
red-pepper flakes, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon
pepper. Cook, tossing greens often, until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
Transfer to a platter, top with scallops, and serve immediately.
Fixed Mother's Day weekend, 2009